2012年6月13日星期三

Inside Out - A Bookish Mix

There is a definite art to filling bookshelves. I don’t think there is any right or wrong way; the only thing that doesn’t work for me is when they are empty. While scouring design books, I find that I am always drawn to rooms where an entire wall is devoted to books. Books, quite obviously, give depth to a room Coach Bags Outlet, since they are one of the sure signs that someone with a pulse actually lives there Coach Bags Outlet, and the colors of the spines give a wall that random pattern that modern interiors so often lack.

Have fun with your bookshelves and keep everything moving. Nothing should remain too static: books come on and off shelves as you use them, and the objects beside them should change, too.

BookshelvesRita Konig The bookcases in Ahmad Sardar’s New York apartment are stocked not just with books, but with all kinds of art and objects.

Yesterday morning I went over to Ahmad Sardar’s East Village apartment to photograph his wall of bookshelves. I love the way that he has mixed his books with pictures, little objects, speakers and pencil jars. He is an architect, so it is not surprising that the proportions of his bookcase are really good. The rectangular grid of shelves doesn’t have the heaviness of most built-in bookshelves, and the fact that Ahmad didn’t use a cornice molding allows him to store even more books on the bookcase’s top surface.

But I also want to add quite a few things to these shelves that aren’t books. I have a lamp, a sailboat and a few small pictures to incorporate among the literature. Attaching lights to the fronts of bookcases is great, and I love the metal lights Ahmad has used. In the Vitsoe shelves I will probably put a table lamp. Where he has used industrial lighting in such a residential space, I would like to do the opposite, placing a rather granny-ish lamp on very minimalist shelving.

I am currently working on a project where I am installing Vitsoe shelving, an adjustable metal system designed in 1960 by Dieter Rams Coach Bags Outlet, which works fantastically in both contemporary and traditional spaces. The metal shelves are thin and tend to disappear once they are stocked with books, which appear to float on the wall.

Related:

没有评论:

发表评论